Monday, January 7, 2019

Mathematics in music

I wrote on June 2013 the importance of
1 + t
1 + t^2
1 + t^3
in sa re ga ma pa dha ni
So Samudragupta dynasty and South Indians did have an intuition of x, x^2,x^3 . . .
But sin x, cos x, tan x and complex i?
Colin Maclaurin, Euler did a lot in trigonometry series and complex numbers. So did Gauss.
Madhava of Sangamagrama did pi by 4. And tan series. Wikipedia states he did sine and cosine too.
I have done pi, rational series. I have done Euler Mascheroni constant to 3 places. ( I believe Euler Mascheroni constant is a measure of genius power). I have also equated rational numbers series and real numbers series.
My point is x, x^2,x^3 . . . were intuitively known to Indians. My respect for Colin Maclaurin and Euler is high and I learnt e series and trigonometry series.

13 comments:

  1. I hear that one has to be careful in learning e series, trigonometry series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can claim that hypotenuse law is real number law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't knoow about knowledge of i in India.
    Inside me 2,3,4,5 and 3,2,4,5 transform is high. This validates i knowledge above 51 percent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husnlal & Bhagatram were the first. They trained Shankar Jaikishan, Laxmikant, Khayyam and Mahendra Kapoor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sachin Dev Burman was the other stream of music.
    My father was attached to this school of music.
    Talat Mehmood, Maharajapuram Santhanam, Ariyangudi Srinivasa Ayyengar were what he liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar. Not Ariyangudi Srinivasa Ayyengar. My mistake.

      Delete
  6. There is no musician like Santhanam. Pure music. He was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Santhanam is probably my liking.
    My dad liked Patammal too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to Raghavendra songs by Maharajapuram Santhanam today morning. Yes, he was amazing.
    Sachin Dev Burman probably shared musicians with Salilda, Bappida and others. I wonder where those S D Burman quality has gone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listened to Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar song in gaana.com. He is no more now. So I can comment now, I think. There seemed to be a split and there were two notes sung by him at the same time. Is this the reason why bollywood music chamchas are defeated. Lataji? Ashaji?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listened to Maharajapuram Santhanam songs in gaana.com. Raghavendra songs. Amazing. Quite a few lessons for composers. And great rendition of the song by the master himself. Maharajapuram Santhanam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not know much about Mian Tansen type of songs. Frankly. Maybe Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar falls in such a category.
    I like getting to the point style of Maharajapuram Santhanam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I listened to "Vaishnava Jan" song of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar in gaana.com. I tried playing other songs. But was getting delayed. "Vaishnava Jan" opened quickly. To be frank it was terrific, I thought. And above my level, I thought.
    Then I listened to 3 songs on Raghavendra by Maharajapuram Santhanam. Superb. I shall buy the Raghavendra songs by Maharajapuram Santhanam one day.
    After these, I played songs from my own collection.
    I have a Phillips bluetooth speaker, BT 122/94.

    ReplyDelete